*Note: the following information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure , or prevent disease or illness. As is the case with most supplements, statements regarding the potential benefits of essential oils have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Please consult with a physician before using essential oils on your young child, if you’re pregnant, or if you’re nursing.
Welcome back to Essential Oils 101. If you didn’t read Part 1, go do that first!
Last we left off, Donna, Jenn and Bonnie were teaching us all about what oils are and the different ways they can be used. Now that we have some of the basics under our belt, it’s time to use them. If you’ve never purchased an oil at all or already have some oils and don’t know what to do with them, it can be kind of intimidating to use them in the beginning. When I first began experimenting with oils, I had no idea that they could be used for so much more than just aromatherapy. Although I was super skeptical at first (Could one of these oils seriously replace my trusty Advil?!), I was intrigued enough to purchase a kit that included several oils that could be used for everything from cleaning, to relieving heartburn, to helping ease sore muscles.
“But Amanda, I really just want something that smells pretty.” You might be thinking (or saying aloud if you’re one of those kinds of people that likes to talk to themselves).
Sure! That’s totally fine. Donna says: “You can start out using essential oils as aromatherapy if you’re hesitant. Try diffusing some lemon or any citrus,” she explains. “They bring down stress levels.”
“But Amanda, I don’t even own any essential oils, so this is all pointless for me to be reading about.” OK sassy pants, let’s get your few oils to start with.
Bonnie listed dōTERRA’s Top 10 must-have oils to start your collection:
- Lavender – calm and relieve stress
- Lemon – cleanse, purify and energize
- Peppermint – energize, promote healthy respiratory function, help relieve upset stomachs
- Melaleuca – (aka Tea Tree Oil) cleanse, soothe and rejuvenate skin
- Oregano – cleanse, enhance immune support, promote healthy digestion
- Frankincense – (aka “The King of Oils”) enhance immune support, promote feelings of peace, aid in overall wellness
- DigestZen – aid in food digestion and soothes upset stomach
- Deep Blue – soothe sore muscles
- Breathe – maintain clear airways and breathing
- OnGuard – support healthy immune function
The ladies also recommend adding two additional oils to your starting collection:
- Purify – replace unpleasant odors and protect against environmental threats
- Wild Orange – uplift the mind and body
*Remember, you can check out Jenn’s Wellness Advocate page to place an order.
So, now that we know the top must-have’s what oils can you not leave home without? I asked while we sat around Bonnie’s dining room table surrounded by dōTERRA products.
Donna shared first: “OnGuard and Peppermint beadles, definitely. As for oils, Peppermint, Deep Blue, Whisper, Motivate, Passion and Bergamot.”
Bonnie agreed with the beadlets. Pop one little OnGuard beadlet in your mouth and help shield yourself from all those snifflers that share your workspace. Peppermint beadlets are a great gum replacement and are amazing for freshening breath. Bonnie also added Lemon and Lavender to her must-haves, and for good reason. Lavender is known to help ease tension and promote relaxation, definitely helpful to survive the craziness that is 21st Century living. Lemon can be used for everything from cleaning to energizing, so having that on hand can be extremely useful throughout the day.
Jenn loves keeping DigestZen, Melaleuca, Peppermint and a citrus oil on hand at all times. She also carries veggie caps so she can easily ingest oils when needed.
The ladies stressed to USE WHAT YOU HAVE! Oils come in handy for so many different things, so before you reach for that hand sanitizer or allergy pill, check out some of Bonnie, Jenn and Donna’s favorite DIY essential oil recipes.
Seasonal Allergy Relief
Help ease the symptoms of seasonal allergies with the following recipe.
- 5 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- 5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 1 Veggie Cap
Drop each oil into a Veggie Cap and take with a cup of water.
Use this anywhere you would normally use a multi-purpose cleaner.
- 16 oz. glass spray bottle
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 & 3/4 cup water
Once you add the vinegar and water to your spray bottle, you have a few options of oils you can use. No matter what blend you use, the rule of thumb is 30 drops of essential oil to 16oz of water.
- 15 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 15 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Wild Orange Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- 15 drops of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 15 drops of OnGuard proprietary blend
- 30 drops OnGuard proprietary blend
- Empty 15ml bottle
- 15 drops of OnGuard proprietary blend
- 15 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- Fractionated Coconut Oil
Drop the oils into the bottle, top it off with fractionated coconut oil, and shake. Place a drop or two on your hands, rub together and you’re good to go!
For even more DIY recipes, check out the doTERRA Essential’s Facebook page!
I really hope that these posts helped you learn a little something about using essential oils. Whether you’re a newbie or seasoned pro, essential oils are amazing additions to your health and wellness arsenal.
Until next week!